Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Chapter 3 Questions pg.73

Questions For Active Reading:
1. The experience that changed Smiley's belief about chores was her working with horses and doing many different kinds of horsekeeping. Even though this was truly tough work, it was something that she had a passion for so she actually enjoyed it. She describes this experience more towards the end of her essay to give her opinion a different meaning. I think the impact would probably be the same for me where ever she placed this experience, but on the other hand I think it's place perfectly to sustain her opinion.
2. Smiley offers many different kinds of reasons and evidence to support her argument by giving the example of her horsekeeping, her husbands childhood and how he was working with his father and doing chores since he was five, her own childhood and how she didn't have to lift a finger to do any chores because they were all done for her, and the effect that chores have had on families which she has witnessed throughout the years. Yes, I do consider these reasons and evidence to be authoritative because she makes good points and has the evidence to back them up. I think the audience she is intending to reach out to is one of young persons who still have a chance to love work and not look at it in a negative way, but I also think she reaches out to anyone who looks to reflect on their childhood and see if chores have had an effect on them.
3. Smiley uses rhetorical questions to appeal to her readers by making them think and truly trying to relate the questions to her readers childhood as well as she can. My reaction to these questions is one that makes me look back at my own childhood and see if doing certain chores made me resent or dislike doing different kinds of work.

No comments: