Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Project 4 Draft (Piece of fiction)

"The Fly fishing Expedition"

The sun was just rising over the vast mountains. The air was crisp and I could feel the cool breeze as it blew passed my Uncle Mike and I when we were walking through a grassy field. I clutched that rod in my hand tightly as we made our way towards the stream with rushing water loaded with rainbow trout.
I was starting to get tired from the long journey and asked, "Uncle Mike, How much longer till we reach this stream?" He said, "Ryan just keep walking we are almost there." So, I just shut my mouth and kept my legs moving.
Then, before I knew it we reached our destination. The stream was exactly what I dreamed it would be. The trout were furiously feeding on bugs and flies as they fell upon the fresh water of the stream. "Are they all rainbow trout?" I asked. "No, some are brown and brook trout, but we are looking for the prized catch of a monster rainbow," Uncle Mike told me.
So, we set out to accomplish our goal of catching that monster rainbow. As a reminder, Uncle Mike said, " The key to fly fishing is the cast." This made me a little nervous considering I did not know how to cast a fly rod at all. So, I asked, "Can you teach me how to cast Uncle Mike?"
"Of course I will teach you, and don't worry you will be casting like a pro in no time," he said.
I watched his every move a he made a perfect cast every time. With each cast the fly would lay perfectly on top of the water and he would have a fish on. But for some reason I just could not get the hang of the whole casting thing. I kept practicing and practicing, but I just could not get the fly to stay in the air and then lay on the water. Uncle Mike could tell I was getting frustrated and said, "Here Ryan, you can fight the fish after I get one on." I said, "That sounds good, thanks Uncle Mike." He said, "Sure buddy, I would be happy to help you out."
So, Uncle Mike let me catch five fish in a row, but I was not satisfied since I really didn't catch them by myself. At this point, I knew nothing would make me happy until I caught a big rainbow on my own. I said, "Uncle Mike, I'm going to go down stream and see if I will have better luck over there." He said, "Just be careful, and go catch a monster!"
I was on my way down the river, and I just kept a positive attitude and knew I would catch a big boy. I found a perfect opening where I could wade in the cool fresh water. I could feel the current as the water rushed into my legs. I saw many rainbow trout swim vigorously passed me, and I visualized one of the monsters eating my fly after I made the perfect cast.
I started to work on my casting for a little while. Suddenly, everything clicked and my fly was lying on the water looking like a delicious snack for my trophy rainbow. I watched as the fish decided to eat the fly and hit it with such force, it was incredible. I immediately yelled, "Fish on!" The rainbow put up a good fight, but I won in the end. I grabbed the fish with my hands and just took a moment to observe the beauty of this fish. The vibrant colors were truly eye opening. I knew there was no chance to show the fish to Uncle Mike because he was to far down stream. So, I took one more moment to realize what I had just accomplished, and then let the fish swim free again in the stream. I knew catch and release was the best thing to do with my trophy rainbow.
Then, I ran back to my Uncle Mike and told him the fantastic news. He said, " I always had faith you would learn the skill on your own and catch a rewarding trophy rainbow trout." I said, "Ya, but it is all thanks to you!" So, Uncle Mike and I ended our day of fishing on that positive note, and I know I will never forget that day.



No comments: