Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Project 4 Draft (Piece of non-fiction)

Questions with Sportsman Ronald York
Hunter Ronald York was born in Billings, Montana. He grew up in Glenwood Springs, Colorado. Mr. York is now a real estate developer living in Alva, Florida. He has been an avid hunter for most of his life and is an all around sportsman. He will now answer 8 Questions asked by our avid readers.
What started your passion for hunting?
Well, the fact that my father, uncle, and older brothers were hunters, I guess. I grew up in the Rocky Mountains where hunting was a way of life as well as a way to provide quality meat for the family.
How old were you when you started hunting?
Well, I went on my first few hunts without a weapon when I was nine or ten, just to observe the hunt and not participate. I actually started hunting with a weapon at the age of twelve.
What is your favorite animal to hunt for and why?
The "Rocky Mountain Elk" would have to be my favorite. I love to hunt to hunt for it because it is one of the most majestic, graceful, illusive, challenging, and beautiful the creatures that God created.
How would you handle critics of hunting, or people who do not believe in the killing of wild animals?
They do not have to, I will do it for them. I would not want everyone out hunting because it would ruin the sport. We just need people who truly have a passion for hunting.
How have you seen hunting change over the last few decades?
It is no longer a right, it has become a privilege. It is really becoming more and more difficult to find a place to hunt.
What weapon do you prefer to use when you go on a hunt and why?
I prefer bow hunting, which is known as archery or hunting with a bow and arrow because I have hunted with every other type of weapon. I like the challenges that this type of hunting can bring about, I also like having to adjust to the weather and wind changes. Another plus is that I have to deal with a lot less hunters.
Who would you say inspired you to start bow hunting?
My brother, Dave because he started bow hunting twenty years before me. I wanted to learn how to bow hunt so I could spend more time with him doing something we both enjoy.
Do you have any helpful advice for the fellow bow hunter?
Shoot straight, be patient, practice without becoming tired of practice, and always expect the unexpected.
To hear more from Sportsman Ronald York, subscribe to next weeks addition of "The Rock", and read his answers to many interesting questions about the sport of fishing.

No comments: